VIC Accidentally leaving a store with unpaid item.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Abi.Tyson

13 May 2019
I went shopping today, I was in a rush as i felt I just got my weekly period, I had a child cracking it and another one sleeping. I was in a rush to just get out and get home I forgot 2 items in the back of my pram and walked out. I was then stopped by some people with a badge that weren't police and was taken out the back with a screaming child even though I offered to pay for it because it was clearly human error but was still written up and given 12 month probation.

what are my rights because it wasnt on purpose.

jjjohn

13 March 2019
l sympathise , its probably happened to most people once, l don't know the law but l would imagine if you have no criminal record or shoplifting history they should have given you the benefit of the doubt, maybe speak to a lawyer or a free legal aid lawyer at your local legal aid office and see if there is a way you can appeal and have the 12 month probation overturned.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If there were no police involved, then there is nothing to even bother about.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
If there were no police involved, then there is nothing to even bother about.
I totally agree. You need to understand that this "probation" is just a store thing. Any store can refuse you entry and this probation is just a precursor to that. It simply means that if you are caught shoplifting again in the next 12 months, you will be banned from the store and the matter might be referred to the Police for further action.

Taking any action on this would be a waste of effort and probably money.

Just be more careful in the future and you'll be fine.

jjjohn

13 March 2019
yes l woud,nt worry, l think they believed you were telling the truth and that it was an accident otherwise they would have called the police, they probably have to put you on 12 month probation from the store just incase you really were a shoplifter, you don't have a police record or anything to worry about you only have a bad record with the store, just don't shop there again and forget about it. l imagine these days with these self serve scanners people makes mistakes all the time not sanning something properly and get falsely accused of stealing, if they charged everyone that made a mistake half the population would be in the courts for shoplifting

Last edited: