NSW Accidentally Took Item from Kmart - Criminal Record?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jack23

13 December 2018
Hi,

Please help me...

I accidentally took an item from Kmart as I was on a call and I had placed that item in my pocket unintentionally, but I have paid for all my other items. I was stopped after I left the store by a guy showing me a police emblem wallet. I told him that I paid for all my goods. Then he said how about the item in my pocket. Then I realised that I had forgotten it and I told him that I forgot it but I can pay for it.

He took me to a room and asked for my id and he said that I am now banned from Kmart for a year and I was asked to fill a paper which mentioned the same. I asked him if this was a criminal offence and they said they are not taking this to police, but I should not enter Kmart...

I was very embarrassed because of that. It's my mistake. I am really worried whether there will be a criminal record against me... Please help me in this regard...

Thanks in advance

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,

Please help me...

I accidentally took an item from Kmart as I was on a call and I had placed that item in my pocket unintentionally, but I have paid for all my other items. I was stopped after I left the store by a guy showing me a police emblem wallet. I told him that I paid for all my goods. Then he said how about the item in my pocket. Then I realised that I had forgotten it and I told him that I forgot it but I can pay for it.

He took me to a room and asked for my id and he said that I am now banned from Kmart for a year and I was asked to fill a paper which mentioned the same. I asked him if this was a criminal offence and they said they are not taking this to police, but I should not enter Kmart...

I was very embarrassed because of that. It's my mistake. I am really worried whether there will be a criminal record against me... Please help me in this regard...

Thanks in advance

No, there will not be any criminal record. If they wanted to go to police, then they would have done so when you were caught. Just be careful and do as told, this is a warning to you, and appreciate that it did not reach the police. If you enter Kmart again before the period ends, they are entitled and can call the police.

I suspect it was a mistake, thinking of it as common sense, if you need to put something as you had a call you would have to put it on a shelf etc... but not in a pocket, anyway, it could be a honest mistake, I am not here to judge. just don't shoplift as it is not worth the hassle.

Jack23

13 December 2018
No, there will not be any criminal record. If they wanted to go to police, then they would have done so when you were caught. Just be careful and do as told, this is a warning to you, and appreciate that it did not reach the police. If you enter Kmart again before the period ends, they are entitled and can call the police.

I suspect it was a mistake, thinking of it as common sense, if you need to put something as you had a call you would have to put it on a shelf etc... but not in a pocket, anyway, it could be a honest mistake, I am not here to judge. just don't shoplift as it is not worth the hassle.
Thanks a lot Adam... Will make sure thia doesn't happen in the future...

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
.......a police emblem wallet.
I bet it wasn't.
I don't see that you have anything to worry about here.
Might be a good idea to stay out of that K-Mart though.

angrysheep2023

10 June 2023

Thanks for the reply, I am just wondering does kmart has authority to post the shoplifter ID and personal photo on Internet, and how long they are going to keep the photo in their system, thanks