NSW Accidentally forgot to scan one item

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rockman

22 April 2020
Hi all,

2 weeks ago, i use a self service machine to purchase varies clothes and shoes for about 100 dollars all together. I did notify the self servce attendant when one of my item clothes is missing a tag. But I did let her know that another item i have does have the tag and is the same product but is a different colour. It was 10 dollars. She told me that it is okay and I should scan that same item twice to account for the other item missing the tag. When i went home, i originally thought that i had scanned everything but realise that i did not. For some reason i forget to scan that item twice meaning that i forgot to pay that extra item which is 10 dollar. So originally i should have paid 110 rather than 100 dollars. I hope my story is understandable. But I was really tired on that day and have a big headache. I could not focus. It not an excuse but a reason why i may have forgotten to pay for it. It was accidental i did not plan any of this. I do not know what to do. I am very stress and obsessively thinking all the time about it. I was not contact by the police or by the big retail store. Please do not lecture me, i do need advice. As i recall, when i walked out of the store the alarm did not go off and no one stopped me. I am not saying that a good thing but i wish there was a tag on that item to remind me that i need to pay for it.

JazKaz

11 April 2020
Hi Rockman,
Whilst it isn’t good that you stole an item of clothing from the store in question, it is important to stay calm and properly evaluate your situation.

Given the 19 crisis, it is unlikely that the store owner will accept the item back.

What you could do to attempt to remedy the situation is to go back to the store and pay the amount that is due and explain your confusion to the sales person.

It is unlikely they would press charges given the timing of the event and it is important for you to be kind to yourself and remember that it was an accident, even if the sales shop owner would not think so.

Regarding the law, under the Crimes Act 1900 section 117 (nsw), shoplifting charges have a maximum penalty of 2 years imprisonment for stealing items under $2000.

The item you stole was worth $10, and assuming this is your first offence, if the shop owner presses charges (which is doubtful), the magistrate is likely to be lenient with their sentencing and may issue a warning or a fine.