Working Holiday Visa Australia Immigration Options

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

John Jones

14 May 2014
Hello, I am currently in NSW on a working holiday visa from the UK. I came hear to live with my girlfriend who is a permanent resident. She was sponsored by her previous husband in 2010 September. My visa expires 2014 November. We are not yet married but plan to. I am returning to the UK to visit family and sort out all my affairs there in October this year. What is the best visa to apply for under immigration law, or should we just wait until 2015?

Many thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's not quite as simple as "get married, and you get to stay".
You need to speak to a Registered Migration Agent.

John Jones

14 May 2014
Thank you for your reply, yes I am aware that it is not as simple as getting married what i'm not so sure about is if there is anything I can do before the five years after my partners sponsorship from her pervious marriage, or did you mean I need to go to an agency to find this out?

rebeccag

8 April 2014

HarrietJ

24 April 2014
Hello, I am currently in NSW on a working holiday visa from the UK. I came hear to live with my girlfriend who is a permanent resident. She was sponsored by her previous husband in 2010 September, my visa expires 2014 November, we are not yet married but plan to, I am returning to the UK to visit family and sort out all my affairs there in October this year. What is the best visa to apply for or should we just wait until 2015? Many thanks

Hi John,

I know first hand what you're going through. I posted 2 links below that should help. I opted to go hire a lawyer to lodge the partner visa application with my partner - because his case was a little complicated, and all the paperwork (with all the clauses) was just a little overwhelming for me to handle at the time. In hindsight, I wish we had done it ourselves, with a good checklist and some help from this website I'm sure we could have saved thousands! :|

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/801-820.aspx < on shore application
http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/309-100.aspx < off shore application

:)