Withdrawal of Police Complaint

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
5 May 2014
We lodged a complaint with the police; the matter went to court but was deferred. We now wish to withdraw the complaint.

The duty solicitor at court told us we had to complete a 'withdrawal of complaint' form and give it to the police. When we attempted to do this, the arresting officer said he couldn't withdraw the complaint because it had gone too far. I then rang the police prosecution office where I was told that it is up to the arresting officer or his superior to withdraw the complaint.
I think I need to re-approach the arresting officer but am not sure of my ground.

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Hi Caroline
What was the complaint about/the matter that was deferred at court and when was that?
Which State are you in? (There seem to be different procedures/people to contact depending on the State, eg, Victoria or Queensland)
Have you now called the arresting officer's superior to discuss withdrawing your complaint? (If you don't know who his superior is, you can just ask them and they should tell you.)

5 May 2014
The complaint was fraud ($5000). It is in Qld about 5 weeks ago. I was hoping to re-approach the officer
rather than go over his head but I may have to.
Ta

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Yes, it sounds like you might have to.
Let us know how you go - all the best with it.