NSW Wife Didn't Leave a Will - How to Get Letter of Authority?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

John Apthorp

27 June 2014
A quick question if I may.

My wife was admitted to 3 different hospitals from November 2015 until her death at the 3rd hospital in March 2016 (Dubbo Base, RPAH in Sydney & the John Hunter in Newcastle.) I want a copy of her full medical records to try & find out who was responsible for the multiple stuff-ups at 2 of these hospitals.

Unfortunately, my 51-year-old wife didn't leave a will.

I have tried to get a copy of her file from the Dubbo Base Hospital but I have hit a brick wall. They tell me I need to get a "Letter of Authority" from the Supreme Court before they will release my wife's files.

Is there another way to get this "Letter of Authority"?

I was married to my wife for 33 years & was with her until her death on the 20th March 2016. I'm on the Disability Support Pension now & don't have a lot of money backing me.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You may be able to make a freedom of information request under the act called Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW). Formerly the FOI act.

Assuming base hospitals in NSW are the same as Vic (ie state owned and run) you can call them and ask how to make the FOI request. Try that first and see how you go. Don't expect anything to happen quickly.

In NSW as a surviving husband where your wife left no will you are entitled to her estate. Not sure how that translates into authority for FOI information requests.