QLD Where to File Letters of Administration?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ktsbob

22 August 2016
My mum died intestate. Her bank account was not attended to and now is held by ASIC. The bank requires a grant of Letters of Administration to authorise the release of the money. The account monetary worth does not cover having legal professionals attend to it. I have looked into the requirements for QLD and believe I can do it.

The money was held in a QLD account, with my home address as my mum lived with me at the time. She moved to Adelaide approx. 3 years before her death, but never changed the bank details.

Do I file with QLD or SA Supreme Court? I am hoping for QLD, as elsewhere would add to the cost, reducing or cancelling the viability to attend to. She was old school and will be turning in her grave thinking someone is just taking her money, so I am hoping to get it for her.

She was a good old stick, so it's not the value, more the principle, if its possible to do.

S

Sophea

Generally you can obtain probate or file letters of administration in the state where the assets are held.