VIC Travelling to NZ, arrested and charged

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
D

Deleted member 26884

Hi,

I've been charged and arrested for larceny as a clerk but have not received a summons yet. I'm going on holiday to New Zealand. Will I have any issues entering the country? Anything I need to do beforehand?

D

Deleted member 26884

Hi,

I've been charged and arrested for larceny as a clerk but have not received a summons yet. I'm going on holiday to New Zealand. Will I have any issues entering the country? Anything I need to do beforehand?

Any help with this please? I know you have to get a visa if you have a criminal record but at this stage I do not have one because I do not have a summons yet.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Any help with this please? I know you have to get a visa if you have a criminal record but at this stage I do not have one because I do not have a summons yet.
I am not a lawyer and it is not my field but from my thinking, if the visa application asks the question about being charged, I would say "Yes", as it may not show up now, but in the future, it will show as your charge is in the process and it start to show up in the systems later on. So to be on the safe side and not fall into trouble, it is best to be clear. I am sure a lawyer will correct me if I'm wrong or would provide more info,

D

Deleted member 26884

I am not a lawyer and it is not my field but from my thinking, if the visa application asks the question about being charged, I would say "Yes", as it may not show up now, but in the future, it will show as your charge is in the process and it start to show up in the systems later on. So to be on the safe side and not fall into trouble, it is best to be clear. I am sure a lawyer will correct me if I'm wrong or would provide more info,

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. Aussies
don't normally need a visa to travel to NZ unless they have a criminal record. However, I'm sort of in between. I've been charged but not been to court yet, so I don't know if I need to apply for a visa or will I be ok to travel without one.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. Aussies
don't normally need a visa to travel to NZ unless they have a criminal record. However, I'm sort of in between. I've been charged but not been to court yet, so I don't know if I need to apply for a visa or will I be ok to travel without one.

I think you would need to disclose it, as it is in the processing, so it will not show up now but in the future it will, so if you leave NZ by then it would be in the system, by that time, they may not do anything but it may put a mark against your name in the future, this is my analysis and I repeat I am not a lawyer or this is not my field, better safe than sorry!

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Try calling the office for the Consulate General of New Zealand in Melbourne. (03 9678 0201)
They should be able to answer your questions.

From what I can tell from the brief check I just did, Australian citizens can travel to NZ without a visa unless they have "certain criminal convictions". So since you haven't been convicted, you should be fine. Ref: NZ High Commission - Visas

Last edited: