VIC Travelling to NZ, arrested and charged

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Spence, 2 October 2019.

1. Spence

Spence Active Member

Hi,

I've been charged and arrested for larceny as a clerk but have not received a summons yet. I'm going on holiday to New Zealand. Will I have any issues entering the country? Anything I need to do beforehand?

2. Spence

Spence Active Member

Any help with this please? I know you have to get a visa if you have a criminal record but at this stage I do not have one because I do not have a summons yet.

3. Adam1user

Adam1user Well-Known Member

I am not a lawyer and it is not my field but from my thinking, if the visa application asks the question about being charged, I would say "Yes", as it may not show up now, but in the future, it will show as your charge is in the process and it start to show up in the systems later on. So to be on the safe side and not fall into trouble, it is best to be clear. I am sure a lawyer will correct me if I'm wrong or would provide more info,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Spence

Spence Active Member

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. Aussies
    don't normally need a visa to travel to NZ unless they have a criminal record. However, I'm sort of in between. I've been charged but not been to court yet, so I don't know if I need to apply for a visa or will I be ok to travel without one.

5. Adam1user

Adam1user Well-Known Member

I think you would need to disclose it, as it is in the processing, so it will not show up now but in the future it will, so if you leave NZ by then it would be in the system, by that time, they may not do anything but it may put a mark against your name in the future, this is my analysis and I repeat I am not a lawyer or this is not my field, better safe than sorry!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Scruff

Scruff Well-Known Member

Try calling the office for the Consulate General of New Zealand in Melbourne. (03 9678 0201)
    They should be able to answer your questions.

From what I can tell from the brief check I just did, Australian citizens can travel to NZ without a visa unless they have "certain criminal convictions". So since you haven't been convicted, you should be fine. Ref: NZ High Commission - Visas

#6 Scruff, 11 October 2019 at 6:53 PM
    Last edited: 11 October 2019 at 7:02 PM
  7. Spence

Spence Active Member

Thank you all for your help. I'll check with consulate.