WA Arrest Warrant for Two Years - Can I Travel to Sydney?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jgurl

13 April 2017
Hi

I have been in and out of the country several times in the last 3 years. I have been in mine for 6 months but the other week the police knocked on the door at my old residence in Perth and said there was a warrant out for my arrest and has been for over 2 years?

I am meant to be in Sydney for work in July but I am unsure if I can get back out without any issues? Can I fly into Sydney for the weekend, will I get arrested?

The misdemeanour could be would be from a search warrant in a hotel I was staying at on New Years. We had no drugs or drug paraphernalia, just my holiday spending money and they took my phone in 2014. I tried contacting the police and courts for almost moths after the incident as I was doing nothing illegal and just wanted my phone back but both the courts and police station had no record at the time - now over two years later and apparently I have an arrest warrant!

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Assuming they were real police (and not, say, private debt collectors telling lies),
then face it head on.
Get a lawyer, and have them accompany you to a police station.

Jgurl

13 April 2017
Assuming they were real police (and not, say, private debt collectors telling lies),
then face it head on.
Get a lawyer, and have them accompany you to a police station.

I would if I was in the country but I don't even live in Perth anymore, I don't want to fly to Sydney for a weekend conference and get stuck in jail, how do I go about sorting it before I leave

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
If you think that there is a real prospect of you being arrested, then get formal legal advice.

Your personal convenience is irrelevant.
And yes, you can be arrested on a WA warrant in any part of Australia.

I will not give you advice the operative effect of which, is to help you evade arrest.