QLD The father of my child is from QLD and I am from the U.S.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
1 August 2020
While he was visiting on his visa, the child's father and I met and started hanging out and I got pregnant. The father does want to be involved in the child's life and wants the child to also visit and live when him in Australia half of the time. I know it is important for a child to have a father, but I feel like 6 months out of the year is way too long to be apart from my child, and I have a fear that the child won't be returned to me when his visits are over. Is there any way to ensure this won't happen and can he get the child a citizenship without my permission?


Well-Known Member
27 September 2015
You'd be better sourcing answers based on American law. But if you had an agreement in the USA that was legally enforceable there it would be enforced here. I know one family where a very well adjusted young lady spent 6 months here and 6 months in Canada. That started when she was 9 (not sure of arrangements prior to that though). The kid loved it. Endless summer, had friends at both schools who gave her a farewell party and welcome back party each visit. BUT the parents got on really well and did all they could to make it work for the kid.