QLD Subclass 461 / health insurance

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cinda89

1 May 2021
Hi,
I am from Slovakia on a subclass 461 nz citizen family relationship visa. I am moving to Australia in July and my husband lives in Australia on the Special Category Visa (Subclass 444). He has a medicare card. Am I able to get medicare through my husband as well or do I need private insurance?
We are also planning to start a family soon and I would need to know what kind of private health insurances exist which also cover giving birth in a hospital in Australia and any follow-up costs.

Thank you :)

LostEcho

3 April 2023
Congrats on the big move to Australia! As for Medicare, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you might be eligible to get it through your husband's visa. It's worth checking with the authorities to be sure, though.
For private health insurance, there are definitely options that cover giving birth in a hospital and follow-up costs. Look into different providers and compare their plans to see which one suits your needs best. It's a big decision, especially with starting a family on the horizon, but it's good to have options!
And hey, if you ever find yourself dealing with medical billing issues, I came across some helpful info about anesthesia billing that might come in handy: https://fortismedicalbilling.com/medical-billing/anesthesia/