- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Son with Aspergers Questioned over Touching Child

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by WorriedMum, 10 March 2015.

  1. WorriedMum

    WorriedMum New Member

    10 March 2015
    Likes Received:
    My son who is 15 is being questioned over touching a young child. He has admitted to me that he did this as he was curious. The investigating police officer is telling me that if my son confesses, there will be no charges or court. He will just do a conference thing? Should I trust this or should I be getting legal representation for my son? I don't want to excuse this or brush it under the table. I will be seeking a lot of counseling etc. (my son has Aspergers) for him but don't want this to ruin his life. How serious is this and what do I do?
  2. Rod

    Rod Well-Known Member

    27 May 2014
    Likes Received:
    Do NOT trust anything the police say without legal representation. Police can and do say many things to get a confession, then once they have it other officers can take over and rescind any 'private agreements'.

    Potentially this is a very serious matter. Do not allow your child to say anything without a lawyer present.
  3. Ivy

    Ivy Well-Known Member

    10 February 2015
    Likes Received:
    I agree with Rod. This is a criminal matter so I suggest you seek legal representation before saying anything to the police.
  4. Tim W

    Tim W Lawyer

    28 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    No, you absolutely should NOT trust the police in this situation.
    Your son is a "vulnerable person", and cops love a soft target.

    You are right in thinking that this is potentially very serious.
    And I agree with those who recommend seeking legal advice as a matter of urgency.
    May I suggest getting it from a criminal lawyer who is familiar with vulnerable accused persons.

    Try the Queensland Law Society for pointers.

Share This Page