QLD Son with Aspergers Questioned over Touching Child

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
W

WorriedMum

My son who is 15 is being questioned over touching a young child. He has admitted to me that he did this as he was curious. The investigating police officer is telling me that if my son confesses, there will be no charges or court. He will just do a conference thing? Should I trust this or should I be getting legal representation for my son? I don't want to excuse this or brush it under the table. I will be seeking a lot of counselling etc. (my son has Aspergers) for him but don't want this to ruin his life. How serious is this and what do I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do NOT trust anything the police say without legal representation. Police can and do say many things to get a confession, then once they have it other officers can take over and rescind any 'private agreements'.

Potentially this is a very serious matter. Do not allow your child to say anything without a lawyer present.

Ivy

10 February 2015
I agree with Rod. This is a criminal matter so I suggest you seek legal representation before saying anything to the police.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
No, you absolutely should NOT trust the police in this situation.
Your son is a "vulnerable person", and cops love a soft target.

You are right in thinking that this is potentially very serious.
And I agree with those who recommend seeking legal advice as a matter of urgency.
May I suggest getting it from a criminal lawyer who is familiar with vulnerable accused persons.

Try the Queensland Law Society for pointers.