Car Accident - Falsely Accused

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

K. Love

29 July 2014
My son is been falsely accused of causing a car accident in a friend's car. There were no witnesses. The friend's girlfriend has been in touch with my son saying witnesses have come forward and the police are building a case against my son. Would the police be discussing this with the accuser? He said forensics can tell that my son's car hit his and caused him to lose control. There is no evidence of this on either car. I feel the girlfriend trying to intimidate my son. Would forensics even be discussing this with the accuser? My son is on red P's. The other driver was on his L's but had no licensed driver with him. He was also over the limit and speeding. My son said his friend tried to overtake him, lost it coming round the bend skidded and hit a power pole. The friend says my son tried to overtake him but a car coming the other way caused him to pull back and he hit his friend when he did so. My son has been driving since he could see over the dash. He knows the area were the car accident happened really well. It was double white lines on a bend, he's smarter than that.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It is possible that the GF is trying to intimidate your son
into not being interviewed and/or later giving evidence
in respect of charges that may be being brought by the police
against the unaccompanied driver.

I suggest making diary notes of any conversations,
and keeping any SMSes/ emails. social media messages etc
in case they are useful later.

K. Love

29 July 2014
Thank you. I have already told my son to make a dairy. Would forensics be discussing details with the accuser?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Can't say "yes" or "no" for certain.
However, in my experience, it's not common.