VIC Sole parental custody - advice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Annec1990

11 September 2020
don't bother. Don't drag yourself through court. Seriously, all you're gonna do is cause yourself stress and you'll get a piece of paper from a court that states the child lives with you. Big deal. That is already happening....

so it’s not worth it in the end?
Then how does one sign documents without the father cos he refuses too?

Step2Three

21 December 2018
so it’s not worth it in the end?
Then how does one sign documents without the father cos he refuses too?
Honestly I’m surprised the day care were that vigilant. My stepdaughters mother managed to enrol her in a different school, an impractical distance away from our house, despite an order stating shared responsibility and a care arrangement that included school nights. No one gave a toss what her father had to say about it. Guess what I’m saying is, Even with a very present father this rarely seems to be a problem, and wouldn’t expect many problems in future. Must be a peculiarity if that centre.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Currently he was not allowed to attend daycare due to his dad won’t sign the paper work, and I had to jump through all these leaps and bounds just for him to attend daycare so I could work.
I agree with @Step2Three .... That seems way more red tape then would normally be the case .... Unless he was going to be billed for the care/gap?

Apart from that, i don't think court is the way you want to go, little advantage (from your current position) for a great deal of emotional & monetary cost

sammy01

27 September 2015
The only document you are likely to have trouble with is a passport application. State govt mandate that kids must be enrolled in school by a certain age, so they're not gonna know you back based on a signature.

Immismum

11 May 2020
And change child support to Child Support Agency collect. That way you don’t have to have any interaction with him, and if he doesn’t pay, the debt accumulates.

Reactions: Annec1990

Davidem

13 September 2020
don't bother. Don't drag yourself through court. Seriously, all you're gonna do is cause yourself stress and you'll get a piece of paper from a court that states the child lives with you. Big deal. That is already happening....
I have to agree with Sammy on this one
The only winner here would be your lawyer who would get a big payment from it.
If he doesn't see the child than there is no point, you are just wasting money that you could use for your child.
Also you said he has seen him at least 60 times , some dad's and mums have not met there child once .
I honestly would move on and forget him.
If he comes back in the future than mediation is way cheaper

Davidem

13 September 2020
Also of he is threating you with a lawyer that is telling me that he does want some sought of involvement

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Agree with Step and Sammy here. I'm not sure how SPR will change the current arrangement, unless you want to exclude him from your son's life because he's a negative influence. Given it sounds like that's not what you want, SPR probably won't change anything. Already you don't technically HAVE to consult him or get him to agree with your decisions. You have 100% care and can make these decisions without him. Issues might only start to arrive if the father actively tries to prevent you making decisions, but realistically he'd have to file in court to be able to do it. Only then would the issue of SPR really need to be questioned by you and the courts.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I also agree. You appear to be unlucky with the centre. Find another and move on without spending money at court.