QLD Absent father 11 years

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Scoobyroo

14 July 2022
My child’s bio father has been absent for 11 years.
I had a restraining order against him before she was born.
He met child twice within the first 2 weeks of her life for 10mins.
About a month later he texts and says he thinks it’s best for everyone if he walks away and has nothing to do with child.
He has not once tried to contact me since regarding her.

I have other children, and their father took this child on his own. She has the same care schedule with him as the other children, he has 40% care. He is the only father my child has ever known.

Now child support is after him, and I receive a Facebook message from his girlfriend demanding a dna test, and custody. If I don’t meet their demands “my mother is a lawyer and you will be hearing from us”
He is on the birth certificate.

I didn’t fully accept the message so she can’t see I’ve seen it. I screenshot and didn’t reply.

My child is aware of him. I’ve never bad mouthed, basically just told her that some times people aren’t ready to be parents.
I told her if one day she wants to know who she is that’s her choice. She says she doesn’t want to.
She is 11, and very smart and mature.

I’m thinking it’s all bluff.
He hasn’t cared for 11 years.. and now it’s caught up to his wallet he suddenly cares?

But if it isn’t I’m so worried for my child emotionally being ripped away from all she’s ever known.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney