VIC Odds of arrest over past shoplifting at Coles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

somber_sphinx

11 November 2017
Last week I was with a friend's at Coles. I was not buying anything but she was at the self-serve, and she was scanning some items. She asked me to put a bottle of juice in my bag and I did it, but watching her I realised she did not properly scan the item. I asked if she was going to scan it and she said no, by then the juice was already in my bag and I was too scared to say anything so we left without any problems.

Since then I have been really upset because I feel like what we did is on CCTV and that the staff will review the footage, report us to the police and get me arrested. I am already on a diversion plan so I get into any more trouble I will have to go back to court. I make no excuses what I did, I know I messed up and wish I could go back to the store and pay, but don't want to draw any attention to what I did.

My question is what are the chances of what I did being noticed, pursued and reported to the police? I know I can be prosecuted over this but I would like to if it is likely/common for Coles to pursue shoplifting cases in this manner.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I don't know what the motivation would be to take risk over a few lousy dollars for a jar of juice? Possibly it did not scan because of bar code problem and she was too frustrated to waste more time on it, in which case, that i can understand!
Anyway, the 'attempt' of scanning should show on CCTV, so how would they know it did not scan?