LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Restaurant Patrons - Runner on Bar Tab - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by harley, 10 August 2014.

1. harley

harley Member

I am a liquor licensee in NSW and I run I restaurant. I have just had a group of people run out on a bar tab. Is this a civil matter? I have acquired their basic info so I can contact them but these people don't seem to be the type to come back and pay (hence why I'm typing this to you). Where do I stand when I go to the police? Will they tell me this is a civil matter or because this is strictly in regards to liquor? They ate no food. Is there legislation that suggests this act is a crime? Thanks.

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi @harley,
    1. What "basic info" do you have on the bar tab runners?
    2. My understanding (which will hopefully be clarified by @Tim W and others with knowledge of NSW law) is that the theft/fraud is a criminal offence. That said, from a practical perspective, because of limited police resources and difficulty in proving intent/dishonesty, it may be easier to pursue a small claim for breach of contract against the runners if you have their personal information.
    Hope this helps. Please keep us updated with your progress.

3. Toqual

Toqual Well-Known Member

If they owe you money, visit your local court house and lodge a Statement of Claim - a demand for money. If they claim they do not owe you the money, a hearing will be scheduled. I highly recommend you obtain proof immediately.