QLD Contesting Public Nuisance - Language

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Josh92

10 May 2017
Order of events -

• Drinking at pub with new acquaintances (foreigners)
  • 10pm - one of them is cut off from buying more alcohol
  • Came back to his seat and finished his beer.
  • Security removed him for not following venue instructions
  • Arguing between security and patron begin to escalate
  • Realising how this could end I start talking to one of the guards asking him to explain to the patron what is going on instead of inciting violence. (Patron had been in the country 1 month and was 18)
  • Security guard I was talking to gave me a double handed shove backwards
  • This aggravated my chest (I have Teitze syndrome, inflammation of cartilage in the chest that can be debilitating if stressed) I am filing an assault charge against the security officer but that's a different matter.
  • 10:38pm - I call the police to put an end to this
  • While waiting an off-duty security guard started talking to me, explaining they had no issue with me
  • Pain struck in my chest, knowing what had aggravated it I let an obscene insult slip toward the one who had caused it
  • He showed no sign of insult and grinned at me
  • Police arrived, took statements of the security officers and watched the CCTV, couldn't take mine because of intoxication.

I know we have no "reasonable excuse" clause in QLD legislation. So I'm trying to find out what is going to happen if I plead Not-Guilty. As it seems I have no legal grounds to stand on for defence. Also whether this is likely to cause a conviction as that would be extremely detrimental for me.

Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated. I'll keep researching in the mean-time.

Thankyou, Josh

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Josh,
The bottom line is you probably are guilty of the public nuisance and under the Summary Offences Act 2005 that can carry a maximum of 6 months in prison. That said you may have a reasonable explanation for the expletive, but it could depend on the full details of the public nuisance. I would speak with a criminal lawyer.