Proving citizenship of someone else ?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ChantelleCTZ

22 February 2020
Hi,
My father is an australian citizen and I was born abroad.
I would like to obtain australian citizenship, but I’m not in contact with my father anymore.
It seems that his citizenship certificate is mandatory for the application ? Can I obtain a certificate proving his citizenship myself ? Can I do without it and just provide my birth certificate ?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You may be eligible for citizenship by descent.
Have a read of this.

ChantelleCTZ

22 February 2020
Thank you for your answer
yes I think I am eligible for citizenship by descent but how can I proceed if I have no proof of citizenship of my father ?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Thank you for your answer
yes I think I am eligible for citizenship by descent but how can I proceed if I have no proof of citizenship of my father ?
  1. Are you in Australia at the moment, or somewhere else?
  2. If you are currently in Australia, are you here lawfully?
  3. Can you identify him at all?
  4. Are there any records in your country of birth that mention him?

ChantelleCTZ

22 February 2020
I’m not currently in Australia,
I can identify him as I have my official birth certificate from my country mentionning his name as father.
Is this enough ?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I’m not currently in Australia,
I can identify him as I have my official birth certificate from my country mentionning his name as father.
Is this enough ?
Not always and automatically.

For example, a mere name, with no other material available
to distinguish him from others of the same name, may not be enough.
Further, it will be necessary to "prove" that the document you claim is a genuine Birth Certificate,
is itself indeed genuine.

Further, before it will be considered by the Embassy/ consulate looking at your application,
it will need to be translated into English, by a recognised professional interpreter, for which a fee may be payable.

I sugges that you need the help of an Australian lawyer who is also a Registered Migration Agent.
You can do this from overseas (although you may need to be able to satisfy them that you will indeed pay them their professional fees).