QLD Property Settlement - Entitled to Family Trust and Assets?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

James-halo

9 January 2018
Hi there,

I am trying to assist a friend with getting to the bottom of his property settlement /divorce with his ex-wife.

He has had legal advice, to which ended up too much for the solicitor, who said he’d need a forensic accountant on board, just not an option with finances at the moment.

Ex-wife is included/ employee/ beneficiary of a family trust, currently earns ‘$8k’ a year and lives in the family trust home. He has retained all the debt from the assets they brought together and she has the assets. He has basically walked away with nothing expect debt.

He wants to start the court process as he needs to see his kids - it’s been 2 years and she won’t let him see them so this all needs to be sorted.

My question is what does he need to provide to the court to prove he helped maintain and improve the property? Is he entitled to claim anything from the property?

Mediation was a fail she refused to participate and the request for family trust paperwork etc was Ignored. My friend has nothing to his name only a leased car, he worked during their relationship been the provider for her and the children. She refuses to do a tax return and I have no idea where to start to help him...

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
getting to the bottom of his settlement/divorce with his x wife.

It is important to know if he's just got a divorce, or whether he has a divorce and finalised some kind of property settlement. Find out some basic information and post back here.