QLD Query on GST Liability and Tax Debt?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Clayton Myers

22 November 2016
Hi to all,

Can anyone help with regards GST and tax liability? The Respondent has a $118,000 tax debt comprising of mainly GST. I have also had an objection to a tax return granted in full by the ATO in relation to a personal tax return lodged on my behalf by the Respondent's accountant.

The respondent's lawyer has asked the court to release $120000 to the ATO from a Trust account from the sale of our family home that contains $249,000. This sum is the entirety of our property pool.

My concern is that the debt is GST liability, and not income tax, is not a joint debt as I am not a party to either the business or Family Trust (Not a beneficiary, office holder or related to the family trust in any way) that sits behind the business.

Thanks!

Clayton Myers

22 November 2016
OK, so I found out for myself and if anyone else is interested GST liability is the sole responsibility of the entity or person that collected it on behalf of the ATO. Not able to be put in the joint A & L as it it not income tax liability, which can be under certain circumstances.

phillip.oliver

15 July 2021
OK, so I found out for myself and if anyone else is interested GST liability is the sole responsibility of the entity or person that collected it on behalf of the ATO. Not able to be put in the joint A & L as it it not income tax liability, which can be under certain circumstances.
could you advise where info can be found about the Gst responsibility , my sister has same thing happening now & is devistated that she had no idea of what was happening .
cheers