Peru Consulate - Denied Entry in Peru because of Visa?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sorangel Marchena

7 July 2014
Perth, WA
Hello there!

I really hope that you can help me with this case. I am a citizen from the Dominican Republic and permanent resident in Australia. At the end of last year I contacted the Peruvian Embassy in Sydney to get information about getting a visa to visit Peru. The general consul herself contacted me back via phone and informed me that I didn´t need a visa and she also referred me to go to their website where is also stated that Dominican citizens don't need a tourist visa for Peru.

On my arrival to Peru, I was denied entry due to lack of visa. Unfortunately today I heard from the Travel Insurance saying that they won’t cover for any of the expenses.

What can I do? Still today the website says that I don't need a visa.

http://www.consulperuau.org/index.php?eng_visas#tourist

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
I think you best option is to keep working on the insurance agency.
What were you grounds for a claim and what were theirs for denying the claim?

Sorangel Marchena

7 July 2014
Perth, WA
Thank you so much for your replay.

The ground for the claim was the lost of all prepaid tours, accommodation and flights due to Peruvian immigration denied entry on the grounds of lack of a turist visa. We explained and provided evidence of the information given by the Consul General of Peru where states I do not need a tourist visa to enter Peru.

The insurance company´s answer was:

We would like to refer you to page's 15 & 17 of the policy wording which outlines the following exclusion:

Overseas Travel Insurance Plan Exclusions

We will not pay for claims caused directly or indirectly
out of:

20 Any interference with your travel plans or restriction of access to any location, caused by a government, government regulation or official authority including but not limited to refusal of a visa or permit to you or to any relative or travelling companion.

This situation is really unfair. I did what I had to do... I called the Consulate and double checked the visa requirements before planning and paying for the trip. If we can not trust the Consulate who are we supposed to trust?

PLEASE HELP!

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Sounds like your out of luck. Who was the insurer?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Based on the information provided, an appeal is likely to be unsuccessful unless you can provide written correspondence from the Peruvian consul to support your claim.

Parashoke

5 May 2015
Hi Sorangel,

I found your thread just now. Same incident happen to me back in 2019 which prove their incompetency beyond words. I'm Venezuelan and Australian Permanent Resident visa holder. In my case it was an officer who advised TWICE by email that I didnt need a tourist visa to visit Peru. On arrival, I was denied entry. Wondering if you got a positive outcome at the end?

I contacted a local firm, but they advised to get a Peruvian lawyer instead, also contacted Fair trading but they dropped the case as they are no competent. Wondering if I can still pursue the case? If so, where can I seek appropriate legal advise? Thanks in advance

Sorangel Marchena

7 July 2014
Perth, WA
Hi,

Unfortunately NO. Very frustrating! The Ambassador of Peru to Australia at the time when the incident happened, was replaced by the time I got back to Australia. I received a call from the new Ambassador but he just played the blame game and immediately changed the visa requirements on their website. He sent me a pack of Peruvian mini drinks gift set (which went straight to the bin) but no proper apology or explanation. One thing I do have clear, Peru never again! Even now that I am an Australian Citizen.

I am afraid I don't really have any advice for you, sorry. It is very difficult to go against a Government. Please let me know if get any favorable outcome.

All the best,

Sol