NSW Neighbours Accusing Son of Noise - Call Police for Harassment?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

billiegirl77

9 January 2017
He not revving the crap out of it when when reversing, it just sounds like it due to it being a manual and the muffler. If he revvs the crap out of it you know and it would be 20 times louder than what it is now. But slight inexperienced would be also a factor and he is getting better, he only had his license for 8 months, car been around longer as we got it for him when he was on his Ls (just a cheap car until he could save something better) I think old biddy moved on, just concern on the lady at number 20. She carried on but I bet she never seen him physically reversing the car back into the driveway so she just assumed he was sitting there revving it which he wasn't. I was inside the house and I could hear him clearly backing it up. Since then he no longer reversing it in the driveway in the afternoon as I think he nervous she come out and go off at him again. He back it out in the morning again but instead of going south which is way out, he going north and around the block as it easier to get out he said but means he drives pass their places so I sure they complain about that now!

Sally-Anne Fagin

18 September 2017
"just sounds like it due to it being a manual and the muffler".

Ah hah, I think the muffler sounds like it might be the problem.

Being a second hand car, and a sporty model, it's quite likely the last owner may have "hotted" it, which is something young guys like to do.

They like the car to look and sound like a racing car, so they put mag wheels on, and maybe lower the suspension, and sometimes put a new muffler on so it sounds more like a high powered race car, rather than a quiet suburban family car.

Maybe the muffler has been replaced with a more sporty muffler, like this.

Varex Mufflers

VAREX™ mufflers utilize our patented* technology to combine both the design of the stock muffler and the performance muffler into one single compact unit. A sophisticated butterfly valve mechanism is implemented to redirect the exhaust gas flow and vary be-tween the two. For higher sound level, the exhaust flows are directed through the opening path and produces maximum power with a robust sound level (or the “sports car note”) and near-zero resistance.

Setting your Varex™ muffler in ‘Street mode’ enables lower sound levels and maximum discretion, as exhaust gases are directed through a chambered path as would a ‘stock’ muffler

So looks like your sons car has probably had a new "performance" muffler fitted, to make it sound more like a race car, and so is louder than a normal car.

So the noisy car exhaust is the problem. Ever stood waiting to cross the road on a Saturday night while the young blokes do "Mainies" (up and down the main street) and "Blockies" (round and round the block) in their hotted up cars.
Some of those hotted up cars have very noisy exhausts and mufflers, which is intentional by the owner.
They want their car to be "hot" and get noticed as they drive up and down the main drag. They think it will help them "pull hot chicks" too. Maybe it does.

So I think your neighbours may have a valid complaint, especially since he leaves for work at 5.30am, when people are still in bed.

billiegirl77

9 January 2017
It does have an aftermarket muffler which last owner has done (came like that), but I will be honest its not that loud, its louder than a car without one of course, but a V8 would be louder. (which street next over has and is behind old biddy). When you start the car is that not loud, the issue is when he got to reverse out as the people across the road simply refuse to park in their drive way, the neighbour next to us doesn't either (as they have two cars one driveway so make sense) so it is a tight squeeze to get out (why I park my 4WD on the road in front of my house) so and of course being still a young driver, inexperience and the fact the car is old is the combination. I don't drive a manual so have no clue on that side but my husband does and he has similar issue due to the guy across the road and being a small street (new suburb) hubby can reverse it easier with less noise but still going to be noise regardless due to the car. He is saving for a new car (2014/2015 car) no point him spending money on this car as its not in the best condition, (engine perfect) we got really cheap as a first car, until he could save for something more reliable. He is planning on leaving the car at a family property when he gets his new car fix it up later (probably sit there for another 10 years!)

Our actual two neighbours next door don't have an issue, and people next to them either (spoke to them) so she just being an old biddy as she bored, but after we explain the issue think she been OK with it since. My concern is number 20 she just really nasty person and I feel she will be the one may push it just as a point. But as said he no longer reversing it back in the afternoon due to her outburst and now he reverse it out in the morning and different way which he said is helping the noise level. Car around only for another 4 months and then it be replace so not much longer.

Also hubby back on early shifts with him so they simply go together in the same car unless hubby has to stay back then he drive his in. He not using it everyday only when my husband on a different shift (his a manager) so sometimes he driving it all week other days it sits there most days. They should be be happy not everyday!