NSW Private seller lied about vehicle

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Pepper87

27 May 2018
Hi,

A few days ago I travelled 3 hours to buy a car from a private seller. He assured me no mechanical problems, no leaks and that is had a pink slip and sent me extensive photos so I decided to go to see the car.
When I got there it looked really clean inside and out, I couldn’t find any leaks and he advised again no problems, no leaks and a recent major service with oil change etc. I did find the exhaust was loud and checked and found a hole and it also needed a replacement bracket but I deemed these minor problems and bought the car.

When I asked him for the pink slip he said he didn’t have the copy as it’s all done online. I googled this then (I’m not Australian and my old car was from QLD) and it did say it was online now. I asked him to show me and he sent me a screen shot from the nsw roads website of some number. Anyway I went ahead as he seemed genuine and went out of his way to show me these things.

I return to register the car and they will me it has no pink slip. I checked the car again and can see an oil leak now I have driven it and had to add 2liters of oil until it showed as full again. It looks like he gave it a really good clean with a pressure wash to hide anything.

I have asked the seller to provide details of the pink slip in messages and he said he would do after work. Several more messages I sent asking for just the mechanic details to call them myself and he didn’t reply and has now blocked me and my messages etc.

I am about to take the car to the mechanic but I’m really worried as I need the car for work and although it was only $3000 I can’t afford anything else.

I know it probably sounds like I am a complete idiot but I guess I was out talked by this guy.

Is there anything legally I can do? Is it worth it? Or am I going to have to just face a long walk to work...

Pepper87

27 May 2018
I should add I didn’t get any form of receipt but can show I withdrew the money from my account that morning.

Clancy

6 April 2016
No receipt?? How did you expect to transfer the car rego into your name with no receipt?

Probably the text messages is your best proof, and then the bank payment.

Plus a copy of his sale advert for any misleading information. ... but remember, a persons 'opinion' that a vehicle is in good condition cannot be taken as misleading, because they are not a vehicle expert/mechanic. But if they claim something like it has a pink slip but not in truth, then that IS misleading and you have a case.