VIC Misleading and Deceptive Conduct? - Mental health SIL rent

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

withrat

27 May 2020
Hey,

I live in a facility called a SIL (Supported Independent Living) for mental health reasons, run by a mental health service. When I moved in, I was told that rent was %30 of my gross income, stated as fact. I never got a copy of what I had signed until recently when I asked, because I had noticed that they were taking more than %30 out. They then told me that it’s %30 plus %100 of rental assistance, which ends up being more like %37 of gross income. I was never told that they would take more than %30 of gross income. And the document that I had signed states nothing about percentages of gross income just the fortnightly lump sum.

I also overheard staff say the same to other residents moving in.
I had to move into this facility due to poor mental health and needed ongoing 24hr support, I was in a position where I trusted that when they said %30 of gross income, they meant it.

Is this misleading and deceptive conduct?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Dan

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
It’s hard to tell without more information, and an overall consideration of all the supports you’re receiving.

Next, rent assistance is a non-taxable income supplement - so it may not be considered ‘income‘.

There are rules around the setting of fees, communication quotes, and consulting with recipients. I suggest reading this as a starting point: https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...entation.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2BA_-sxzHjsEprEmxj1KXE

Reactions: withrat

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Your "gross income" is everything you get,
from every source, added up into one number.
Then the fee would be 30% of that.