VIC Mental Health - Friend Forced to Take Dangerous Medication - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
8 April 2016
My friend was sitting at home, patting her dog when the police busted in and took her to Graylands Mental Hospital where she is being detained in a ward that is one step away from being in the prison next door for the criminally insane. She is being forced to take medication that is being increased every day until she either willfully or unwillfully exhibits no signs of emotion.

Her crime? Having her mental health diagnosed - incorrectly in my opinion - with bipolar disorder, and deciding not to take medication on the basis that it has bad side effects and is not necessary for her in the first place. I have known her for 10 years and have seen no signs that she has bipolar.

This is an absolute outrage. The medication they are forcing her to take causes cancer and shaking. She is worried that this will most definitely destroy her career. Basically, the government/mental health department are potentially destroying her life and putting her in danger of being assaulted by psychotic people and raped by men who are in the same ward.

How do we stop this?

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
It's very difficult to have someone committed in NSW. Is she over 18? Has she been charged or convicted with an offence ?

8 April 2016
She is in her 50's, no record, one of the most sane and law abiding citizen I know. Apparently if you don't take bipolar medication whether you have bipolar or not they will lock you up. This is what happened. She is out if hospital/jail now but they explained that they will send someone around her house every day to enforce the medication. I feel that this could happen to anyone and the government could use this outrageous power to destroy or silence anyone they want to.