WA Landlord Accusing Me of Theft - Take Legal Action?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

happybear

9 June 2016
Hi!

So we were recently evicted from our rental (Illegally I might add, whole other story!). We took over the house after the owner passed away, and it was fully furnished. About 10 months after this, previous owners brother got himself in a bit of a pickle and needed help. We offered to the family to give the younger brother a lot of items including linen, cutlery, crockery and utensils. When we took over the house. I also asked for all the bedding to be removed except the mattress protector, and they gave us a sheet to fit the bed until I could get new stuff.

Now we have moved out, they are accusing us of stealing those things, because, we replaced them (obviously!) when we offered them back to the family/asked to have them removed, and now (duh!) they aren't in the house.

They have been harassing me via text, and have been asking others to harass me and my partner via text and Facebook. Multiple times they have threatened to have us charged with theft, despite us reminding them several times where those items are and reassuring them that we don't have them.

What legal action can they take? Will the police even act on something like this?

What legal action can I take? Is it worth my while taking the harassing/threatening messages to the police and seeking protection first?

I sincerely believe they are to "lazy" to involve the police (I'm not the first person they have treated in this horrific way, btw!). I'm very scared of these people, they are very manipulative and have been known to manipulate police and weasel into things!

Please help me!

S

Sophea

I wouldn't worry about making a pre-emptive defence by contacting the police, but make sure you keep copies of all text messages, emails, call records, etc and make dated diary notes of what was said in conversations with them - so that you can cover yourself if they do try and make a mountain out of a molehill.

Beverley Greening

6 November 2014
Why don't you change your phone number for starters or block them? But do save all the texts they have sent you. Alternately if you are still worried you could go and speak to the local chamber magistrate about the matter. They sound like bullies so don't give into them.