WA Lease - Landlord Refuses to Return Possessions?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen001

30 March 2017
Ex-partner was renting a property privately. He was arrested and kept in custody. He got bail 5 days before his lease expired. While on bail the owners told him he could store everything in the shed that was also part of the property. They told him he could trust them and assured him that only they would have access to the shed and they would keep it all safe till he was released.

About 8 months later, I get a call from the owners saying to get all his stuff out of their shed. So I start removing his possessions from their shed and notice a lot was missing and everything had obviously been gone through. The owner was there watching the whole time and when I went to remove certain things would be told, no that's staying, or, you're not taking that.

After removing what I was allowed to and speaking with the ex, we have come up with roughly $70,000 worth either missing or not allowed to remove. This includes about $20,000 in receipts.
At no stage have the owners contacted the ex saying they told me to get his stuff or in regards to anything else to do with his possessions. They have not been given a certificate of abandoned goods and have not sent him any paperwork regarding storage/abandoned goods etc.

Ex now has to take the owners to court to try and get the rest of his stuff back.

Meanwhile, the owners have sold some things on Facebook. Would this make the person that bought the items in possession of stolen property?

Did the owner have the right to sell anything? What happens if by the time it gets to court the owner has sold or gotten rid of, hidden, given away etc, the rest of his possessions?

We know they have done insurance fraud in the past and we think the missing receipts have been used for another claim.

The owner has also now come up with a $10,000 amount apparently owed to them by the ex, but won't detail how this figure is made up. The bond was returned to the owners and the property professionally cleaned. There was no breach, no rent owing, nothing.

Any help on any part of the above would be appreciated.