NSW Is booting people offline by using a botnet or something to flood their IP address with random data and requests illegal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

EuropeanPatriot

23 May 2020
A few people keep booting me because they treat a game like it's their life and they use it to make themselves feel powerful and it's annoying. What can I do?

EuropeanPatriot

23 May 2020
Basically, they use something ontheir computer to attack my modem and fxck with my internet so I can't use it.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
A few people keep booting me because they treat a game like it's their life and they use it to make themselves feel powerful and it's annoying. What can I do?
Get a life in meatspace?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You can't do anything.
Sure, there are theoretical avenues for you to pursue,
if you have genuine, reliable, admissible evidence, and you can persuade somebody
in the relevant jurisdiction to take an interest
in what seems to be nothing but a gamers' tiff.
But none of those avenues are all that practical,
are certainly not cost effective,
and may not even be enforceable.

It's a game. It's a game.
Give it a rest and find something to do in the real world
(as old-timer net heads say, in "meatspace")

JazKaz

11 April 2020
1 what’s the game? If I were you I’d think about contacting creators/ developers. If it’s an mmo or a start up game the developers would be interested in this. Bullying is generally frowned upon and they are usually willing to help out if you have evidence. The evidence probably wouldn’t go down with devs if they want a clean friendly game.

another strategy would be delete history restart new character steer clear of users such as those mentioned above if ya know their player id or rather ip .

Atticus

6 February 2019
Weren't Vid games much simpler before you could go online & compete.... Simpler than games in meatspace too :p

EuropeanPatriot

23 May 2020
1 what’s the game? If I were you I’d think about contacting creators/ developers. If it’s an mmo or a start up game the developers would be interested in this. Bullying is generally frowned upon and they are usually willing to help out if you have evidence. The evidence probably wouldn’t go down with devs if they want a clean friendly game.

another strategy would be delete history restart new character steer clear of users such as those mentioned above if ya know their player id or rather ip .

GTA 5, they use something else to get my stuff. They've sent me my IP address on Ok nstagram and have ssid they're gonna boot me right before I get forced offline.

auDave

27 February 2020
Have you tried talking to your ISP and asking for a new IP address or even a dynamic IP address? I would start with ISP, get your IP changed, they may even have a solution to help. I think big streamers use VPN services to avoid IP address being attacked.

I'd assume they're using some DoS program and flooding your IP. If you know their player names, report them to the developers.

Curious on how you go with this.