VIC I am having difficulty accessing my grandmothers will

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rowan

18 August 2017
I need to read my late grandmother's will and am having difficulty tracing it.
My grandmother, Dorothy Jones, died in June 1989 in Brisbane Qld. I know that she left a will, though my parental family have never mentioned it.
For some years from the late 1990's there was regular mention of an 'inheritance' during my mother's phone calls to me, but the source was always vague and would change from one family area or another, and never clear.
I have applied to the Qld records office but apart from an automated acknowledgement there has been no other reply, and ringing them also has had no result.
As there is complete estrangement between my family and myself there is no point in contacting them about this.
I do really need to find my grandmother's will and learn the contents. And possibly also the will of her son Raymond Jones, who passed away in 2000 as far as I remember.
How can I best accomplish this please?
Thank you and best regards

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You can search to see if an application was made to the Supreme Court in Queensland for probate/administration. Go here: Party search

Enter your grandmother's details under "Party details". Put "deceased" as the "party role" and enter a date (say 1/1/1989).

If it doesn't show up, you may need to go through your family.