NSW How Do You Prove a Professional Transcript is not Doctored?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ian Curtis

7 December 2016
What have your experiences been with so-called professional transcript services?

I am ordering a transcript of two NCAT hearing CD's in preparation for a Supreme Court Appeal. This is from Spark and Cannon (now called VIQ Solutions) because NCAT do not create official transcripts.

How do I get this transcript to the defendant in a way that they cannot accuse me of doctoring it? That is the who point of me not doing it myself as a pensioner with time and skills.

The following are the options I could think of...

(1) VIQ have no idea what a digital signature is so that is not an option.

(2) VIQ do not keep the transcript online, accessible by password, so that too is not an option.

(3) I will ask VIQ to Cc the emailed PDF to the defendant. First they told me this would incur an extra cost (for typing in an email address!?) but then after consulting their finance department they said it is now free.

I also tried LawInOrder but when I rang they said they did not know if they do transcripts and instructed me to email their Sydney office. That sounds even less professional than VIQ.

Also VIQ do not routinely timestamp transcripts unless someone announces a date and time at the outset (which does not happen in my recording). I am asking them to put a timestamp (an offset from the start of each CD) at the top of each page which they have agreed to do but would not be surprised if they forget.

Ian Curtis

7 December 2016
Their lack of professionalism continues you amaze me.

The default payment option is writing your credit card number on a form or reading it out to a human. I refuse for security reasons so they are trying to arrange a bank transfer instead.

Why do lawyers insist their clients use them? My lawyer saw transcripts I made in the past four NCAT and was happy for me to do likewise for the Supreme Court but the Barrister insists on a "professional" service so that the other party cannot challenge it's veracity. Their default service is anything but bulletproof.