VIC How to find out if ex has taken child to a doctor secretly

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alert

7 June 2019
Hi Albert. Yeah I'm ok. Just being busy. I have a medicare card, and ex has another medicare card with different number. My son is number 2 on my card, and number 2 on ex's card too. Medicare told me previously that it is very common for separated family.
Yes that is correct. I have found where you can transfer your sons Medicare number to your Medicare card. Only one parent signature needed

Alert

7 June 2019

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Yes that is correct. I have found where you can transfer your sons Medicare number to your Medicare card. Only one parent signature needed
I believe this is what my ex did to have our son attached to her medicare card too. Hence when she takes him to medical professionals she just submit that card number instead of mine. As result I don't know what appointments she has taken our son to.

Alert

7 June 2019
I believe this is what my ex did to have our son attached to her medicare card too. Hence when she takes him to medical professionals she just submit that card number instead of mine. As result I don't know what appointments she has taken our son to.
This was unfair of your x to this. Of course a parent wants to know ‘when’, where’ and ‘why’ their child is being seen.
You have the right to know this information.
Why don’t you use this form?
Your x would have applied for a new Medicare card, with new details.

Alert

7 June 2019
This was unfair of your x to this. Of course a parent wants to know ‘when’, where’ and ‘why’ their child is being seen.
You have the right to know this information.
Why don’t you use this form?
Your x would have applied for a new Medicare card, with new details.
What I would do is get your sons Medicare number, even if you need to ring Medicare and ask them.
If Medicare don’t give this to you I would take my son to a medical clinic I have not been to and when I’m asked for the Medicare number, I would say I don’t have my sons Medicare number on me, but his address is......, and give the mother’s address.
I would also ask if they could write down my sons Medicare number and I will have this transferred onto my Medicare card.

Or if your medical clinic are helpful I would ask them to get your sons other Medicare number.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Or.... Do nothing.
Calm down.
So 2 medicare cards that is because the kid has two families. They are not linked so Medicare ain't gonna help you.

So even IF you managed to find out what medical practice the kid went to, you're not gonna be able to get anything out of the doctor who saw the kid.

Story time - my ex didn't believe me when I told her we were all at risk of having whooping cough. My partner and 2 of the kids that live in my house were confirmed as whooping cough. Bloody terrible illness btw - get immunised. . Meanwhile I was given a week off work because I was a risk and I could potentially have passed on the bloody thing. So we have a week off school / work and directed to minimise contact with the outside world. So me and the two boys have no symptoms, fit as a fiddle. So we're off to the skate park during the day, going fishing. But staying well away from the rest of the world. It was great... But, the ex doesn't believe me. Thinks I'm taking the kids out of school for fun. Demands to speak to the doctor. The doctor would only talk to the ex with my consent (which I gave). Ex calls doctor, he confirms whooping cough diagnosed in 2 of us BUT he refuses to discuss anything else. WHY? because he doesn't have to and that is all I gave him permission to discuss.

Yes, your ex should be telling you about doctor's appointments - that is covered in the shared parental responsibility part of the legislation. But medicare, DHS or the medical practice will not be telling you anything without a court order that forces them to do it.

NEXT - the kid had a sore throat? not a viscetomy? Pick your battles - your blood pressure is going up because the ex wont tell you about a common childhood illness. Sure, absolutely bad form on her part - but if you loose your sh*t over it SHE WINS. Pick your battles and this is one that is not worth fighting. She is withholding information to piss you off. It has worked, she has won.
BTW - the kid was sick - the kid saw a doctor - so what is the problem? NOTHING - Nope, your ex is the problem but there isn't a doctor that can fix that, True...

Now go and take the dog for a nice long walk and calm down...

Last edited:
Reactions: Alert

Alert

7 June 2019
Well Sammy01, that says it all? Oh and by the way my brother is going to ttttttrust what she says, iiiiiiidiot!!!!

Muxaul

10 October 2017
Or.... Do nothing.
Calm down.
So 2 medicare cards that is because the kid has two families. They are not linked so Medicare ain't gonna help you.

So even IF you managed to find out what medical practice the kid went to, you're not gonna be able to get anything out of the doctor who saw the kid.

Story time - my ex didn't believe me when I told her we were all at risk of having whooping cough. My partner and 2 of the kids that live in my house were confirmed as whooping cough. Bloody terrible illness btw - get immunised. . Meanwhile I was given a week off work because I was a risk and I could potentially have passed on the bloody thing. So we have a week off school / work and directed to minimise contact with the outside world. So me and the two boys have no symptoms, fit as a fiddle. So we're off to the skate park during the day, going fishing. But staying well away from the rest of the world. It was great... But, the ex doesn't believe me. Thinks I'm taking the kids out of school for fun. Demands to speak to the doctor. The doctor would only talk to the ex with my consent (which I gave). Ex calls doctor, he confirms whooping cough diagnosed in 2 of us BUT he refuses to discuss anything else. WHY? because he doesn't have to and that is all I gave him permission to discuss.

Yes, your ex should be telling you about doctor's appointments - that is covered in the shared parental responsibility part of the legislation. But medicare, DHS or the medical practice will not be telling you anything without a court order that forces them to do it.

NEXT - the kid had a sore throat? not a viscetomy? Pick your battles - you're blood pressure is going up because the ex wont tell you about a common childhood illness. Sure, absolutely bad form on her part - but if you loose your sh*t over it SHE WINS. Pick your battles and this is one that is not worth fighting. She is withholding information to piss you off. It has worked, she has won.
BTW - the kid was sick - the kid saw a doctor - so what is the problem? NOTHING - Nope, your ex is the problem but there isn't a doctor that can fix that, True...

Now go and take the dog for a nice long walk and calm down...
Previously my Ex took child for immunisation without telling me in advance. I found it out after I printed out his immunisation statement. Lucky this part of info is shared at medicare. She also unilaterally decided not to enroll son to a school without telling me in advance, when that's in court order. I only found out when the school contacted me.

I think the best approach is to ask her to disclose all child's medicare claims under her card before we go to trail in family court? If the statement contains a medical claims made by a clinic on the day she claimed didn't take son to, that's one more evidence to expose her lies and non-corporation?

Alert

7 June 2019
Previously my Ex took child for immunisation without telling me in advance. I found it out after I printed out his immunisation statement. Lucky this part of info is shared at medicare. She also unilaterally decided not to enroll son to a school without telling me in advance, when that's in court order. I only found out when the school contacted me.

I think the best approach is to ask her to disclose all child's medicare claims under her card before we go to trail in family court? If the statement contains a medical claims made by a clinic on the day she claimed didn't take son to, that's one more evidence to expose her lies and non-corporation?
That sounds fair?

Alert

7 June 2019

You may find other doctors appointments that were not disclosed to you? Good luck