Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Franchise Partner Kicked Me Out - What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Commercial Law Forum' started by Perihan, 30 October 2014.

1. Perihan

Perihan Member

Hi.

In July I opened a company with a so called friend with 50% shares each. We bought a 40K franchise that comes with a car. It is a hired car services company. We agreed he becomes the sole director and I become a shareholder, as I have another business and did not want to be liable to something I can't control.

I lent the company 21K. A month ago, I got an email from him stating that he is kicking me out and that I have 2 options. Either I get 16k back and leave or only get 10% of the profit. He then texted me saying that he will sell the franchise and will pay me all the money back.

I have all these conversations in emails and in text msgs. He changed all passwords so that I won't see any data or get informed of anything. I know he sold the car and got paid for it for sure. Today, I texted him asking about the money I should have received a while ago and he replied saying that the business did not get sold. I know he sold the car and got paid for it and I know the business is running. I feel lost and I want to know my legal rights under commercial law as well as how to get my money back.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Let be sure I understand things (correct me where I am wrong)...
    1. Who is the franchisee? Is your company, or the other person personally?

2. Is your entity a corporation, or a partnership?

3. If it's a corporation, then are there are only two shareholders - that is, you and him?

4. How many shares do you each own - one each? Or are there more than two shares?

5. What do you mean by a "hired car services company"?
      Is it a Hire Car (ie a "limo")?
      Is the car owned or leased? And by whom - the company, or your co-shareholder personally?

6. Is the $21,000 what you paid for your share at the start, or is it a separate loan?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    DennisD likes this.
  3. DennisD

DennisD Well-Known Member

If you answer Tim W's questions we'll all be in a better position to respond

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...