VIC Hire Car Excess for Damage - Request for Documentation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mac44

10 November 2016
I recently had a hire car which had an excess of $2000. Whilst I had the car, somebody drove into the car and damaged it (minor damage in my opinion). I have paid the $2000 to the hire car company and have requested they supply evidence of the fix/insurance claim. They are so far refusing to provide any information so I suspect they have taken the money and have got the car fixed on the cheap.

So my questions are, does the money I handed over have to be passed onto the car insurance company or can the hire car do what they like with it and am I legally entitled to request documentation to prove they used the money to fix the car?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
They can't demand dollars excess and then do the repair on the cheap. They need to either make a claim and have it done through insurance, or not make a claim through and charge your their costs up to a maximum of $2K.

Complex16

27 July 2016
Ouch. You shouldn't have paid them the money and instead requested two quotes to make sure it was going to be less than the excess. They are not obligated to lodge a claim with their motor insurer...