NSW Car Insurance won’t Cover Damage to Truck - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

joe marrone

18 November 2014
Hi. My stepson hired a removal truck. He clipped a tree branch which fell onto the cabin of the truck, damaging the roof. The truck hire company are saying there is around $6k damage and he needs to pay it, as the car insurance company does not cover the top of the truck. There was an excess of $2.5k and they did not cover damage to the tray. 95% of the damage is to the cabin. They only have 1 quote. What can he do?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Joe,

Ask for more another quote from the truck company and see if you can obtain a copy of the insurance agreement. If the insurance is undertaken by the truck company, this might be a little difficult, but seek one nevertheless.

Second, have a look at what the rental agreement (between your stepson and the truck company) is when your stepson hired the truck. Especially look at the damage to removal truck section and any disclaimer clauses. What does the agreement say about insurance excesses?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @Sarah J, carefully review the truck rental agreement (and associated insurance inclusions/exclusions). I also have the following questions:
  1. Have you documented all correspondence between you/your stepson and the truck rental company (including photos of the damage)?
  2. Did the truck rental company explain why they only obtained one (1) quote to repair the damage?