NSW Break and enter and attempt to steal car - Can I claim refund of car insurance excess if individual at fault is convicted and how?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JCalchera

1 March 2023
Hi. Hoping to get some guidance and advice with the following situation.
Our house got broken into. Wallet and car keys were stolen. Individuals attempted to steal one of our car parked in our driveway. Crashed the car while reversing into flowerbed. Individuals fled the scene following the crash. NRMA insurance took care of towing, repairs and hire car. Had to pay $2000 excess though. Few days later I was contacted by police who had identified few of the individuals involved and found one of the individual in possession of my credit cards. Forensics were conducted at our home and on our car.

I'm trying to seek a refund of the excess I paid or some sort of compensation. My understanding is the individual at fault has been identified by police and therefore should be liable for compensatory damages? Do they have to prove that person committed break and enter and was in possession of my personal belongings? What's the best course of action in this case. I have been trying to follow up with both NRMA and the Police but I'm not getting much luck. Any advice or guidance would much appreciated.

Many thanks

Johann