QLD Ex in new relationship. DV in front of our son.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
I don't have a solicitor. If I did, I wouldn't be asking questions here. I was trying to resolve our differences with civil conversation or mediation but he just wants to do everything via a solicitor.
Unfortunately, you need to get a solicitor as well. I suggest you get one and get them talking. Mediation is the best option here but you shouldn't be making a decisions when he has one in place. Leave the child our of it as the others have advised.
I know it's not cheap - but its your child and will be worth it (there are cheap options) and it may mean that the other party will back down on their "requests". They have pushed the 50/50 for 5 months to create a precedence which they now have. Not the end, you have a case to push back, but I recommend you lawyer up sadly.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
I don't have a solicitor. If I did, I wouldn't be asking questions here. I was trying to resolve our differences with civil conversation or mediation but he just wants to do everything via a solicitor.

I think you have completely missed the point. My child's wellbeing and happiness is at question here. I am focusing on him and what is in the best interest of the child, not on my ex.

Trust me, plenty of us here have solicitors and want to get a second opinion regardless. Having a solicitor doesn't guarantee you have the best possible advice. ;)

I don't think they did miss the point. We know your child's wellbeing and happiness is in question. Your suggestion on how you could handle it didn't show you had the best interest of him in mind in that moment though... You were suggesting you expose him further in order to gain evidence of DV. I do see the dilemma however.

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
Trust me, plenty of us here have solicitors and want to get a second opinion regardless. Having a solicitor doesn't guarantee you have the best possible advice.
The lawyer I dealt with I felt didn't care about my situation - possibly made things worse by having a lawyer honestly. However the fact we both had lawyers made sure that there was no "bullying" I guess. If you can get away from having lawyers involved, well done as most can't. But if one has, the other should. You don't have to do what they say, but it's another way to get advice, just like this site and others who you know who have been through the same process. I would do things differently if it happened again, but would still get the lawyer involved but would instruct differently and probably choose more carefully.

My suggestion, go to mediation and get a lawyer.