QLD Barrister in a Relationship with Ex - Conflict of Interest?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tara J77

15 April 2016
Hi,

My ex-partner purchased a house with the barrister that was representing him during our property/parenting court proceedings. I thought they were in a relationship and she herself confirmed it to me.

I did have a solicitor but can no longer afford the costs, who did send her (the barrister) an email asking her to cease representation as this is a conflict of interest and unethical conduct. Nothing actually eventuated from that though. She (the barrister) interferes quite often through texting me when he doesn't seem to get his own way (even though there are court orders in place).

This has been a long, stressful process and so much more to the story including them both taking my 5-year-old son away, not informing me of location (there are court orders in place regarding providing each parent with travel details, location etc in advance) & when I sent them both a text (different times) asking if they had arrived safely, I never got a response at all.

I tried calling (during my ph contact time), no answer and eventually at 10:30pm, I spoke to the police as I really wasn't sure where they were and if they were safe (especially because he has a protection order because of Domestic Violence). The police informed me my son was safe and approx. 15 hours away. And nothing was wrong with both their phones.

Dealing with this whole process is difficult enough let alone receiving texts from her and this latest incident which occurred on the weekend.

I really need some help on how to deal with this and with family law!

Thanks in advance

Victoria S

9 April 2014
It would be a conflict of interest if she was representing you, while dating your ex, but I don't see how this is a strict conflict of interest case. She may have engaged in unethical conduct however through other behaviour that you have alluded to.

If you are concerned you can contact the Legal Services Commission and make a compliant about her. https://www.lsc.qld.gov.au/complaints

Reactions: MartyK

MartyK

4 June 2016
Apologies Victoria S, I meant to press the like button for your post but accidentally pressed the report button and then quickly unpressed it again after realising it wasn't the like button.