NSW Enforceable Agreement to Purchase the Business?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lululu

24 November 2014
On 1 December, Bill wrote to Jill asking, “are you interested in selling your lawn mowing business, and if so, at what price?” On 10 December, Jill replied by letter in the following way: “I offer my lawn mowing business for $10,000. This offer to remain open until 20 December.”

Bill received the letter on 14 December and posted a letter accepting the offer, although he had heard that day from a neighbour that it was rumoured that Jon had offered $12,000 for the business. On 17 December, Jill changed her mind and sent a letter cancelling her offer. Bill received this letter on 18 December one day before Jill received Bill’s acceptance.

rebeccag

8 April 2014
Hi @Lululu
What's the context of this question - Is it for study?
This sounds exactly like my old uni lecture questions.

rebeccag

8 April 2014
In that case, this thread will be kept very brief as the LawAnswers forum is not for study questions, but for people with real legal questions (per the Community Guidelines).

I encourage you to ask your tutors, lecturers and get into study groups with your fellow students to bounce ideas and legal knowledge.

Have a look at contract law textbooks (as the question raises issues of offer and acceptance under contract law) which will reference relevant legal principles and cases. You can then go to Austlii and other relevant sites to get copies of the full text of those cases and journal articles that discuss those cases and the issues raised in them. Write down the facts as a visual timeline so you know what happened when.

This Australian Contract Law website merges all that information online and you may find it helpful.

DennisD

11 July 2014
Haha, do your own study! More interesting than the hypothetical is how the postal acceptance rule applies in the digital age. Get with the times!