NSW Question about Legal Costs Agreement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

marianapower

28 May 2020
Hello, I recently hired a law firm for a commercial matter. When I received a settlement offer, I was happy to take the offer - but the law firm said they could get more money/better outcome and this turned into further Deed negotiations.

I was given a costs agreement of $12,000 and I put $5,000 into trust. When I was close to the $12,000, I received another costs agreement that the resolution of my matter would be in-between another 5,000-$8,000. After this I didn't receive another costs agreement and worked my fees/total costs off their agreement. Today I received a legal bill for work undertaken last month (not including this month) and it was $43,500 and 14 days to pay. Going through what I'd received, the cost agreements I have total up to $20,000 at most. Is this usual to charge double? It was a very unexpected bill. Thank you.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I worked my fees/total costs off their agreement. Today I received a legal bill for work undertaken last month (not including this month) and it was $43,500 and 14 days to pay. Going through what I'd received, the cost agreements I have total up to $20,000 at most. Is this usual to charge double? It was a very unexpected bill. Thank you.
First thing to do is tell the firm (in writing) you are not happy with the charges outside of your costs agreement & you are formally disputing it .... If the bill isn't itemised, ask that they send an itemised bill..

Make a complaint to the Office of the legal services commission NSW .... Complaints

They have a dispute resolution process that will hopefully get to the bottom of what is happening & help find a resolution >>> http://www.olsc.nsw.gov.au/Documents/Fact Sheet 7 Costs Disputes June 2019.pdf