QLD Criminal Law - Vicinity of Licensed Premises Notice Infringements?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Roy xx

7 February 2016
I was recently issued with a number of infringement notices under Criminal Law, i.e. urinating in the vicinity of licensed premises, failure to state name in the vicinity of licensed premises, obstruction of police in the vicinity of licensed premises.

It all occurred at a bus stop more than 500m away from the licensed premises and after it had closed. I see NSW/VIC state vicinity to be 50m from the boundary, but can't find a QLD definition. The 'vicinity of licensed premises' increases the fine, and I'm mostly upset because I wasn't urinating in the first place, hence the 'obstruction' of police, I now have $1500 in fines, for what should be a $125, (if I were actually pissing).

Can anybody help?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'm not familiar with QLD state laws. What laws are you alleged to have broken? Law and section pls. It should be stated on the infringements.

Roy xx

7 February 2016
Urinating in vicinity of licensed premises. Summary offences act

Obstructing police in vicinity of licensed premises. PPRA 200

Failed to state name in vicinity of licensed premises. PPRA 2000

The alleged incident was nowhere near a licensed premises. Just need to know a definition of "vicinity". As this element maximises the penalty, I was wondering if I cloud dispute that fact.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hmmm, I can't find the definition of 'within the vicinity of licensed premises'.

Sorry, can't help you. Wait a few days and someone with more knowledge might be able to give you the answer.