failure to leave premises

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CharlzF

24 July 2019
Good afternoon,

I recently got a Penalty notice after an argument with a security guard in a pub in Sydney. He got rude and i couldn't help myself but become argumentative. I got charge for Failure to leave a licensed premises. The police officer explain to me that i should have went at least 50 meters away from the premises after being excluded. I don't contest the facts and will pay the fine asap.

I would like to know if it's consider as a criminal conviction. From what I read, this is not a criminal conviction but I can't find a perfect answer. Can someone please confirm me this information ?!

Finally, does this offense will be added to my criminal record ? I read that "All criminal infringement notices that are decided in court are shown on a person's criminal record." I conclude that without going to court it will not be added to my criminal record but it seems a little too simple.

I still can't believe how the situation escalated that quickly. I learned the hard way to ignore any comments, breath in and out and leave if it happens again.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

CharlZ

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
If you were charged, then you would be required to attend court. If found guilty, then that would be a "conviction".
But this sounds like you were not charged, only given an "infringement notice" (on-the-spot fine). As far as I know, that's not a conviction.

Reactions: CharlzF