Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

ACT Police Caught Me Urinating in Public - Criminal Record?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by won, 24 August 2015.

1. won

won Member

Last Sunday at 5am I just finished peeing on the corner. I was caught by police for urinating in public. The police took pictures and got my details. They said the fine comes around $200.

Is there any possibility to appear court and get criminal record? Or it just comes as an infringement letter? If I appear in court, do I need to go with a criminal lawyer?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Wait for the fine to come in the mail (1 week - 6 months) and then post exactly what crime you have been charged with. Police sometimes change their mind, esp after talking to the Sen-Sergeant back at the station, and might throw in an extra offence or 2 in to make their stats look better.

You'll have time after the mail arrives to get advice. Don't panic now, it is much too early.

BTW, you could at least have used a nearby bush/tree if a toilet was not nearby!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...