Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Can't Afford Fine - How to Get Community Service?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Jonathan van Oorschot, 20 August 2014.

  1. Jonathan van Oorschot

    20 August 2014
    Likes Received:
    I'm a uni student that just received a fine in the mail for $550 for "Excluded person remain in vicinity of licensed premises " I was drunk and have no memory of the event. However I can't afford to pay the fine how can I get community service or partly pay to the post office in instalments? Also does this go on my criminal record and are there any other consequences for paying through community service ?
  2. Tim W

    Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

    28 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    If you have the option to choose to have the matter dealt with by the court,
    then you may care to select that, and try your luck.

    In the alternative, have a look here:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Owens Lawyers

    Owens Lawyers Well-Known Member

    13 June 2014
    Likes Received:
    Once the fine becomes an enforcement order (roughly 49 days after the fine was issued) then you can arrange with SDRO (NSW State Debt Recovery) to pay the fine in instalments. However, if you receive a centrelink payment you can arrange to pay in instalments at anytime.

    Community service is an option that the SDRO has if you don't pay an enforcement order. However be wary of waiting for this to happen as they may suspend your licence or rego first.

    As for your record, this fine is what's called a CIN or criminal infringement notice. The purpose of CINs was to avoid minor offences going on criminal records. In practice there has been some issue with this, as they appear on your criminal history (which is a criminal record handed to the court for bail purposes).
    Tim W and Amanda E like this.

Share This Page