SA Disclosure of Spent Conviction - Claim Against Damages?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

george8

20 June 2017
Hi,

I recently applied for a National Criminal History check and the result was issued disclosing eligible spent convictions. Do I have any legal standing to claim damages against the company who issued the convictions and/or subsequently the SA Police who ultimately unlawfully disclosed detail on the spent convictions? As a minimum, should the Police and police check provider be prosecuted in accordance with the act?

Thanks in advance.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi George,
I had a quick read through the Spent Convictions Act 2009 and it looks like the convictions should have become spent automatically. I recall reading that in some states you need to apply to have convictions spent after the requisite timeframe, but I didn't read that here. So your questions, it would appear who ever did your National criminal history check may be in breach of sect 14 SPENT CONVICTIONS ACT 2009 - SECT 14 and you may be able to pursue a civil claim if the subsequent disclosure has caused you to suffer a loss or damage.