QLD Claim Compensation for Emotional and Physical Abuse from Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cayne

6 April 2017
Hi,

I'm currently seeking compensation from my soon to be ex-husband.

Before we got married (already engaged) I had been subjected to on multiple occasions, emotional abuse in the form of threats that include physical abuse. 4 Weeks before being married, I found out that I was pregnant which I kept to myself due to being fearful of what he might say or do.

Needless to say the same treatment continued with emotional abuse being levelled my way. I ended up having a miscarriage 4 weeks later due to the immense stress I was under. Prior to this, I was pressured into taking out a personal loan in my name in order for him to have the finances to start a new roofing business, pay for our wedding and also so that he could put some money into his car loan.

Once we were married, he'd already started his business and things were going well business-wise. A few months later, I had an accident which resulted in having to purchase a new car. My ex dictated that the car was to be bought in the businesses name so that he could claim it on tax.

I wasn't 100% happy with this but was happy to help him in his business. On multiple occasions he would abuse alcohol and drugs which often ended with me having to look after him.

After leaving him the first time and he asked me to come back and promised to change, we made an agreement between the two of us that he would take on all financial burdens such as payments for University tuition, car payments and leave me with complete ownership of the car we had bought.

I ended up leaving for good. We then agreed he would pay off the debt he'd created via his business with the money Id given him. While i agreed to take over ownership, payments, insurance and registration. He has since taken back the car claiming I had stolen it and reported to the police that I had no right to the car.

He is also now refusing to pay off his debts leaving me massive financial stress.

Can I sue him for the emotional abuse, stress and physical abuse (I have proof) and for the money he forced me to loan on his behalf? If so, how could I go about doing so?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Can I sue him for the emotional abuse, stress and physical abuse

No, unless you have a diagnosed medical medication that is attributable to him. Physical abuse should have been reported to the police at the time it occurred.

and for the money he forced me to loan on his behalf? If so how could I go about doing so?

Go through the family court system. Get a divorce and property settlement sorted out.