NSW Compensation for Assault

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

justsad&confused

31 January 2018
I was employed by a company that was doing civil construction for the local council water treatment plant. It was a enclosed yard with all rules and regulations including the wearing of hardhats at the front gate.

My ex boyfriend worked there as well until he was randomly drug tested by the council and failed the test. He was stood down pending further tests and finally was asked to leave his position there after being verbally abusive towards me a few times..

I continued to work there and being the only girl employed by my company, my boss implored me to take out an AVO on my ex so he couldn't continue his threats, etc.

My ex joined another multinational company who also had contracts with the local council.

I was working on this particular day when my ex turned up in his work uniform and drove through the gates and parked next to my car which he proceeded to smash up. He then asked another employee where I was and proceeded into the work zone looking for me.

My boss noticed him and yelled out at me to run, but as there was a 20foot hole in one direction and vertical wall the other, he caught me and threw me on the ground whilst punching and verbally screaming at me. It took five other employees to get him off me and I was taken to hospital and he was arrested.

It has just recently been to court and he eventually pleaded guilty to assault and smashing the car and breach of AVO, however he will not receive sentencing until next month.

In the meantime, I have had to move twice, and hide. I cannot use my phone or computer as he hacks them and I haven't been able to work, partly from fear of him finding me.

Should his company be made to make compensation as it was in their work time and he was signed off that day saying he was at work, or should the council or my company be liable? I'm not sure who is mainly culpable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'm not sure who is mainly culpable?

The ex.

He has clearly acted outside the scope of his duties and therefore I can't see anyone else but him being responsible for his actions.

Change all your passwords and look for malware/key loggers installed on your PC. Hacking is not easy to do unless he knows your passwords.

You may be entitled to Victim of crime compensation - ask the police.

And you can sue your ex in the local court for compensation as well.