NSW Reconciliation of Personal Loan Debt from Ex?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mumma_duck

4 October 2017
Ok, so a bit of background:

My ex bullied me into getting a $20000 personal loan which he said he would pay half off. I didn't want it but I coped with verbal abuse when I said no until I gave in. My ex crashed the first car, which I purchased with the loan as I was pregnant with his child.

2 years later, he stole my second car and when I cancelled the rego, destroyed it to the point it's not worth fixing (I had mechanic look at it). He left me $20000 in debt, this includes electricity loan and rent and Centrelink. As I was sending him money, as if I didn't, I faced more abuse. It got to the point where I had to get an IVO out as I was living in fear.

Now the issue is he wants me to drive 3hrs so he can see his daughter. I have no car. He offered to pay for the other one to be fixed but it is unrepairable so I found a cheap car. Now he is refusing to pay it and said he'd rather not see his daughter. He tries to manipulate and intimidate me.

My question is, I offered to forget about everything else he owes me if he paid the $2000 for the car. I have witnesses to say he said he would pay half the loan as well as bank receipts for the $500 fortnightly I was sending him.