NSW Centrelink & Department of Immigration - Wrong Information

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Billi

8 April 2015
Hi, just wanting to clarify some things and wondering if there is any help for me to understand the seriousness in relation to AOS Sponsor for an immigrant knowingly and wrongfully not compiling relevant forms correctly and not getting their De Facto partner to sign the declaration on a form 40. Also a form 956 advice by migration agent declaration which was signed knowingly that the agent was not given all the correct information by the sponsor being in a De Facto relationship. Also form 929 change of address and passport details.Also form 1022 notification of change of circumstances. Also form 1023 notification of incorrect answers not being submitted in relation to all the above forms.

I was in a De Facto relationship since 2011 with my ex partner and the applications for sponsorship and visa application for permanent residency for a migrating parent were filed around 2012 and 2013 with the Department of Immigration and knowingly my ex partner put the wrong information and I had not signed any form giving permission to financially support someone being the visa applicant a migrating aged parent her mother in this case for a 10 year period from date the application had been filed.

We had a child in 2013 and moved into a rental property and subsequently my ex partner had been claiming single parent payment and had not informed Centrelink of the change in her circumstances when we had moved into the rental. The relevant departments are informed and what could be the seriousness of her situation when all this catches up. Could both my ex partner who is a permanent resident of australia and sponsor for her mother the visa applicant which I'm aware now the mother has PR as well since 2012 or 2013 be deported back to their country.

Regards

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Billi,

It is always difficult to tell what the immigration department will order and how seriously they will see the offence. Much of it is underpinned by policy reasons and how prevalent similar acts are happening at that moment.

Making a false statement to the Immigration Department or Centrelink is viewed as an extremely serious offence. Especially if it comes to light that the person making it purposefully and intentionally made the false or misleading information. This person needs to rectify the false information by amending their details with the relevant departments immediately. Dishonesty is not lightly accepted by Government Departments, especially if this person is getting a financial benefit from the incorrect information. Having said that, third parties affected (dependants on the visa) will not necessarily be deported from Australia. Each case will be considered on its own merits and her mother may be allowed to stay, especially if she already has PR.

Probably best to deal with this matter sooner than later.

Billi

8 April 2015
Hi Billi,

It is always difficult to tell what the immigration department will order and how seriously they will see the offence. Much of it is underpinned by policy reasons and how prevalent similar acts are happening at that moment.

Making a false statement to the Immigration Department or Centrelink is viewed as an extremely serious offence. Especially if it comes to light that the person making it purposefully and intentionally made the false or misleading information. This person needs to rectify the false information by amending their details with the relevant departments immediately. Dishonesty is not lightly accepted by Government Departments, especially if this person is getting a financial benefit from the incorrect information. Having said that, third parties affected (dependants on the visa) will not necessarily be deported from Australia. Each case will be considered on its own merits and her mother may be allowed to stay, especially if she already has PR.

Probably best to deal with this matter sooner than later.
Thank you for your feed back

Reactions: Sarah J