QLD Cat Regularly Impounded by Atherton Council - Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peter smith

8 June 2014
After moving house (about 2 km from former residence), our cat regularly goes walkabout and is often found at the local caravan park usually by a certain permanent resident. Sometimes he returns in 2 or 3 days, another time he was gone for three months and picked up at the Tolga pub about 9 kms away.

On the first occasion, we were put in contact and I picked up the cat from said residence's abode. She regaled me on the fact that she has owned cats for 40 years and never lets them outside the house. Also that my cat and hers always fight (not sure if my cat has burglarised entry inside to gain access to her cat). After the first impounding there was no charge, I think because my wife knew the person in the pound.

The second time it cost $68 to liberate him. This time the Tableland Regional Council are trying to extort $190 plus $14 a day in captivity to release the animal. Other than keeping the 'Gingering Wilbury' locked up for life at home, what options do I have?